If you are interested in volunteering at the Yarra Valley Winter Shelter, here is some information you may find useful:
- Shifts: 1.00-3.00 pm, 3.00-6.00 pm, 5.30-10.00 pm, 10.00 pm-7.00 am, 7.00-9.00 am.
- Requirements: Volunteers will need to be 18 years or older, have a Working With Children Check, as well as provide a referee if they have not volunteered before and attend a compulsory training session.
- Roles: Shift Workers, Shift Leaders, Minibus Drivers, Trailer Drivers, Cooks
- Training: Saturday 20 May 9.00 am-12 noon, or Wednesday 24 May 7.00-9.30 pm
- Venues: Overnights - St Patrick's Catholic Church Community Centre, Lilydale Baptist Church, Outer East Lutheran Church Lilydale, Wandin Baptist Church, Day Centre - Discover Church Mt Evelyn
Breakfast Shift (7.00-9.00 am) – set-out breakfast items, interact with guests, clean-up and packup trailer (if moving to next venue)
Afternoon (1.00-3.00 pm or 3.00-6.00 pm) – set-out lunch items, interact with guests and offer support as required, assist with laundry if necessary, keep the venue clean and tidy,
Evening – (5.30 pm-10.00 pm) - Set-up venue, greet and orient guests, assist with meal serving and clean-up, eat dinner with guests and socialise.
Overnight (10.00 pm-7.00 am) - Supervise and maintain a safe environment overnight for guests to enable them to sleep. Socialise with those who are awake as needed. Note: Three volunteers on shift with two always awake (can take turns to sleep)
Drivers must be aged 25 years, hold a full licence (no special licence required) and be able to drive a manual transmission. Drivers are needed for the following times:
5.45 pm Daily - pick up from Day Centre and Main Street, Lilydale to drive to Church
8.30 am (Tues, Wed, Sat, Sun) - pick up from Church and drop off in Lilydale
Move trailer from venue to venue after 9 am and before 5.30 pm - Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays